Monday, March 26, 2012

Quinoa Salad

I find the easiest things to make are the ones I can prep in stages (for example, during naps) and then assemble later.

I've had tabbouleh (cous-cous salad) a few times and its very refreshing and delicious but cous-cous is actually a pasta. Not that pasta is really UNHEALTHY, but quinoa (a grain, pronounced KEEN-WAH) is better for you. It's a complete protein and high in fiber. If you aren't going to put meat in your meal, you need to get the protein from somewhere! I didn't put cheese in this salad only because Stan was napping and I couldnt get to the store by the time I thought of it, but crumbled feta would have been delicious, as would be some chopped mint or parsley.

We get our organic quinoa from Costco. It's a huge bag for $9.99.

I used whatever was in my fridge in my salad:



 I chopped the veggies fairly small so you could get a bite with a bit of everything. Also please note that quinoa stays hot for a long time, so cook it well in advance of assembling your salad to give it time to cool.

2 cup of quinoa
4 cups of vegetable broth
2 kaffir lime leaves (optional - these can be picked up from many asian grocery stores)
various veggies, chopped
*I used, red pepper, green onions, snap peas, tomatoes and cucumber
3 tbsp lemon or lime juice
olive oil
salt and pepper
crumbled feta cheese
mint and/or parsley leaves, finely chopped

Cook your quinoa in your veggie broth, fluff with a fork and let it cool.

Chop all your veggies.

In a large salad bowl combine your quinoa, veggies, herbs and cheese. Drizzle with olive oil, the lemon or lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love quinoa:) I make a similar salad and often toss in whatever I have on hand. My favourite combination of ingredients is quinoa, asparagus (steamed until just slightly cooked but still a bit crisp and chopped into ~1 inch chunks), walnuts, feta, and dried cranberries.

    ReplyDelete